Monday, December 31, 2012

What's Flying in Your Sky?

Over the past 18 years, I've learned a lot of aviation lingo and phrases from my father-in-law who is a retired pilot.  One of the phrases that I've heard him mention time and time again over the years is a "holding pattern."  A "holding pattern" is typical for large airports. For the major hubs, a "holding pattern" is necessary to keep control of all the airplanes in the sky that are waiting to land. As a plane approaches it's destination, it must enter the "holding pattern" before it can touch down.  The airplane simply gets in line for landing.

God has given me a visual of a "holding pattern" for all of my thoughts and habits.  He is showing me that there are a few fears, doubts, and habits that I've allowed into my "holding pattern."  He is ready to help me land those things that do not give Him honor and glory.  He is showing me that there are too many "planes" flying in my sky, and He is ready to help me clear my "sky."  God IS the control tower, and HE is able to see everything.  What's amazing is when He starts showing me planes on the radar that I didn't even know were there.  Yikes!!!

Bringing down the planes that are not of God can sometimes be hard, but the peace, and joy that comes from our obedience outweighs the rough landings.  HE promises us that we will not crash and burn if we look to HIM for help and guidance.

As we get ready to celebrate New Year's, I'm eager to usher in a NEW year with less planes flying in the "sky."  New beginnings, fresh starts, and Godly redos are available for all who seek God and His forgiveness and repentance.

What does your radar look like?  Do you want to start a new year with the same "holding pattern?"  You have a choice and you are in control of what flies in your "sky."

Psalm 94:11 The Lord knows the thoughts of man;  he knows that they are futile.

Romans 8:9-10 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.  And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.  But if Christ is in you, your body is dead of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

Isaiah 43:18-19 Forget the former things;  do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up;  do you not perceive it? . . .

Isaiah 58:11 The Lord will guide you always . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment